Lloyd’s of London has long been famous for extending its specialty insurance coverage to celebrities and their body parts. Back in the 1930s, Jimmy Durante insured his distinctive nose for $140,000, and Betty Grable insured her legs for $1 million in the 1940s.
Celebrity Body Parts and Their Reported Insurance Coverage
Below are some more recent examples of highly valued celebrity assets covered by celebrity insurance policies:
- Original Rolling Stone Keith Richards has insured his hands for $1.6 million.
- A client once insured the legs of supermodel Heidi Klum for $2.2 million. (She admitted that a small scar reduced the value of one leg by $200,000.)
- Actor Daniel Craig, who performed his own stunts in the Bond films, insured his body for $7.7 million when filming Casino Royale. He increased the coverage to $9.5 million for the sequel.
- Kim Kardashian reportedly took out a $21 million policy on her derrière when it became one of her trademark assets.
- Julia Roberts has insured her trademark smile to the tune of $30 million.
- The Lord of the Dance, Michael Flatley, is said to have insured his legs for more than $39 million. (Quite an increase from the days of Fred Astaire, whose legs were insured for $75,000 each.) ·
- TMZ reported that Mariah Carey insured her legs and her vocal cords with a $35 million policy for each.
- Singer Taylor Swift insured her legs for $40 million before her 2015 world tour in case an injury prevented her from performing.
- Soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo insured his legs for a reported $144 million, while David Beckham supposedly required multiple companies to provide $195 million in coverage for his legs.
We hope you enjoyed these fun tidbits about celebrity insurance policies from the insurance world.