skip to Main Content
City Building Owners Insurance Program is open and continues to conduct business as usual. Call Us 877-576-5200

What’s Your Sign? NYC Landlord Requirements for Signs & Notices

Required Signs for NYC Landlords
New York City requires landlords to post a number of signs and notices, depending on building size.

Various New York laws require landlords to post specific signs and notices for tenants. These include the Housing Maintenance Code (part of the NYC Administrative Code), the Multiple Dwelling Law, and the Rules of the City of New York.

As a convenience to our clients, we’ve posted some of these requirements below. (Please note: Many of these requirements depend on the building size. For instance, New York’s Multiple Dwelling Law only applies to residential buildings with three or more units.)

Required Signs & Notices

New York City landlords are required to post the following signs and notices in their buildings:

  • Certificate of inspection visits. Owners need to provide a frame that will accommodate a 6″ x 9″ inspection visit card, issued by the Housing Preservation & Development (HPD) inspector who visits the property. The frame should be between 48″ and 62″ above floor height, located at or near the mailbox (if present).
  • Garbage collection notice. Display a tamper-proof sign with the current hours and method of garbage collection in the lobby. (Exception: Buildings with 24-hour dumbwaiter service are exempt.)
  • Building floors. Identify the number of each floor with a sign, or paint the number directly on the wall.
  • Street numbers. The front of the building must display the street number. This number must be visible from the sidewalk and properly maintained.
  • Smoke detectors. Smoke detector requirements must be posted at or near mailboxes, using an HPD-approved form.
  • Carbon monoxide detectors. Owners must also post HPD-approved notices with carbon monoxide monitor requirements in a common area.
  • Housing information guide notice. Notify tenants about the availability of the New York City housing information guide by posting a notice near the mail delivery area.
  • Service interruption. If making repairs or performing any work that will interrupt utilities for more than two hours, owners need to post a public notice at least 24 hours before the service interruption. (Update the sign, as required, and post the information in both English and Spanish.)

Contact Information

In addition, building owners need to post contact information for specific functions, including emergency contacts:

  • Boiler room access. HPD requires owners to post the name and location of the person who has access to boiler room keys. One notice goes in the lobby; another belongs on the boiler room entrance.
  • Janitor name/address. Owners must post a sign with the name of the janitor or housekeeper at the building entrance. The sign must include the person’s address, apartment number and telephone number.
  • Disaster response signage. Residential buildings with any non-owner-occupied units must post a temporary notice with emergency contact information in the common area at the following times:
    • Before a weather emergency (e.g., blizzard, tropical storm, etc.)
    • After a natural disaster
    • After learning that a utility outage will last longer than 24 hours

For additional information on these requirements, as well as the governing regulation, visit the HPD website.

Get a Commercial Property Insurance Quote

If you have questions about your building insurance, call our office at 877-576-5200 or comment below.

This Post Has 2 Comments

    1. If you want to install a sign on the outside of the building, you’ll need to comply with Department of Buildings (DOB) requirements. New York City publishes this starter guide for opening a doctor’s or dentist’s office.


      If you hire a licensed sign hanger (another city requirement for certain sign types), he or she can help you with any fees, permits, etc. Best of luck to you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top