Skip to content
CONTACT US: 877-576-5200 Email

How to Shop for Commercial Property Insurance in New York City

Tips for Buying Commercial Property Insurance
When shopping for commercial property insurance, make sure your policy has the right protections and extended coverage.

Shopping for building owner/landlord insurance can be tedious and confusing. Or it can be incredibly straightforward and simple—but carry big surprises at claim time.

We hope you never experience a claim. If you do, however, we especially hope that you don’t encounter any issues.

This article offers tips to make sure your commercial property insurance provides the protection you need, including extended coverage that applies to your location and your unique situation.

Choosing the Best Landlord Insurance Options in New York City

Learn About Building Insurance Options

Compare multiple policies to make sure you’re getting the best deal. If you have a knowledgeable insurance partner you trust to do this legwork, great. Otherwise, this insurance planner walks you through the comparison process.

Evaluate Insurance Carriers and Policies for Your Building

This score rates the stability and financial strength of the insurance carrier, and it can change at any time. Even if you’ve had the same insurer for years, you should still check the rating once a year.

Look for Replacement Cost Coverage

A policy with a replacement cost basis will repair or replace damaged property without deducting for depreciation.

Choose Special Form Coverage for Comprehensive Protection

This type of insurance policy offers the broadest type of protection, covering any type of sudden and accidental loss unless it is specifically excluded. Basic or Broad Form Coverage only covers specifically listed perils.

Avoid the Penalties of Coinsurance

This clause penalizes building owners for not carrying enough insurance on a property, which is a common occurrence in New York City, where property values can skyrocket.

Extended Coverage Essentials for NYC Area Landlords

Loss of Rents Coverage: Protect Your Rental Income

Loss of Rents coverage replaces lost rental income during repairs (for up to 12 months) if covered damage requires tenants to vacate the property. (It’s a good idea to provide new rent rolls to your broker every year.)

Ordinance or Law Coverage for Older Buildings

In an older city like New York, many buildings require upgrades to comply with current construction codes. Ordinance or Law coverage provides extra funds to cover the difference between the existing, outdated system and one that meets modern regulations.

Sewer Backup and Legal Liability

This special protection covers water backup from the sewer system within your building, which happens with some frequency in New York.

Water Damage and Legal Liability

If water from your building damages your neighbor’s structure or property, water damage legal liability covers those losses.

Stay Protected: Regularly Review Your NYC Building Insurance

Even if you’re happy with your insurance, you should check in with your broker and research other options at least once every three years. Markets change. Carrier ratings fall. New players introduce new products.

Your insurance partner should keep you up to date on these types of changes. Just in case he (or she) doesn’t, you should research your options on a regular basis.

Landlord / Building Insurance Quote
To ensure you have the right coverage for your needs, contact us for a free, no-obligation policy review or call 877-576-5200.



Back To Top